I am Canadian who spends about half my time in Thailand. I am an enthusiastic newly addicted weaver who is just as interested in loom construction as in the wonderful fabric that can be produced on them.

I decided that I would build my own loom in Thailand because I have no idea where to buy one,

When I came from Vancouver I brought texsolv cord and heddles, two shortened reeds  (size limited by baggage restiction) and some LeClerc plastic shuttles. I decided to use Travis Mienolf''s plan for a counter balance loom.

I suspect that there are better places to get wood in Korat, but my wife took me to a wood salvage yard. Most of the wood was suited for a compost heap but there was some good stuff. The operators cut me strips of wood about the size I wanted and planed it on two sides. When it came time to make  my beams I took some of the wood back and had the other two sides planed, I should have had four sides planed on the whole works. It would have saved many hours sanding,  I ended up with at least two types of well seasoned hardwood. I think one was mahogany,  it smelled like mahogany when I drilled it and sometimes it smoked. The sawdust was either brown or or smoking ashes. The other wood was much lighter in color. My raddle is a piece of wood I found around the house, I tried drilling undersize holes in it then pounding a nails into the holes, it was like pounding nails into steel, I ended up drilling holes the same size as my nails and sliding the nails into the holes. I am tempted to call this my sh..wood loom. My beater - reed holder is a weird lamination of wood from the lumber yard and scrap from around the house and wood putty. Considering my tools, I think I did a good job.

Early in the construction of the loom I noticed that some of the drawings did not agree with the dimensions given in the plans. I checked the pictures on the Action-Weaver  website and found that they lookred like they were made to his dimensions. I decided that his plans were a work in progress so before I started assmbly I drilled several spare holes so that I could adjust the final layout easily.

I couldn't find any wooden dowel so I used PVC pipe for the rollers and threaded rod for tie rods. I used rectangular sticks for my heddle frames, if I can find suitabe round dowel I will change, it will be easier to slide the heddles along the frames.

I could not bring myself to use lock pins for the two beams so I used more conventional locking devices.

I used texsolv cord for tying my pedals to the heddle frames using my own ideas without using Travis instructions.

This is the bare frame.

I understand that saw blades are frequently used as ratchets in Swedish looms.

A sledge hammer head is an excellent  substitute for a spring in a brake.on a warp beam.

Peg pins with the points cut off are a good substitute for texsolv locking pegs at a tenth the price.


Lease sticks were a bit of a problem, guess where I salvaged mine.


Here is my shed with a shuttle in it

my raddle in use

 First threading.

So far my loom seems ok. I think that I will move my cloth bar a bit closer to the beater.When I am satisfied with the final position I will trim the extra ends

I like aprons, I will add a second apron





Congratulations on a successful construction! Also the excellent substitutions for parts!  Very inventive!  Keep up the good work.


Looking good, and did good to with some of the challanges. Looking foreward to the first cloth coming off it.  :)

Group Audience