- Member for
- 18 weeks 2 hours
- View recent blog entries
Sally, yes, I think you are giving good advice, as I spent 3 hours this morning cutting crossed threads, retying, threading and sleying. It seems that every time I found a crossed thread and repaired, there was a new one waiting for me. There was also the problem of finding empty heddles, although I was so sure I left some available.
Tomorrow I will begin again, using the lease sticks as Sara suggested, along with your suggestions. Many thanks!
Thanks very much for your suggestion about the cross. I do have lease sticks, but when the "pro" and I used them, they were over the back sectional beam, suspended near the closest shaft. I do not think they were properly crossed, otherwise I would not be having so much trouble.
So when you are treadling to straighten out the threads, is this done from the back so you can actually watch the lease sticks? Can I not involve the other two bad sheds, or are they a lost cause at this point?
I had a brainstorm this morning while weaving, and I was thinking of cutting off all the threads in front of the reed, holding them there, and then trying to re-thread through heddles and reed to achieve a better set of sheds.
What do you think?
BTW, I think I met you at the Midwest Fiber Fair. Too bad they no longer exist!
I have a Norwood loom from the 80's, all cherry wood, 40 inches width. It was already put together. The pro weaver and I together wound the sectional beam by using a spool rack with a tension box. Then I was on my own after that.
I may have crossed threads from the sectional beam to and among the heddles.
I threaded all four shafts, but what I meant is, I am only using 4 treadles. I lashed on the front beam but when I began weaving, I saw that the sheds were bad and that the crossing is really among the heddles, going back to the sectional beam. Once I had trouble clearing sheds, I retied maybe half a dozen threads--the very worst ones. Now I only use 2 sheds because the others are so messed up. There are no crossed threads between heddles and reed. All 4 shafts have many heddles on them, some full and some empty.
One of the shafts seems to go up slightly with a second shaft. Otherwise, the shafts stay in place. My chain link up is 1:1, 2:3, 3:2 and 4:4.
Thank you so much for willingness to help. I will also try to post a photo or two.
Just wanted to let you know I did the lashing, and it worked! Of course not nearly as neat and even as yours is.
Then I discovered that I had forgotten to reattach the heddle bars to the spring-clips and that took awhile.
Plodding on...many thanks!
This looks good and makes sense in terms of loom waste! If I can find suitable cord in the house, I will try lashing to my apron rod, which is a hefty rectangular stick, not a round rod. Thanks so much for the tips!