This ~11" x 15" Navajo technique class project took me six months. Nearly every inch of weft was taken out and redone from three to six times - no kidding. By the top of the dark diamond, I had the sense that something wasn't right, but couldn't find an obvious fault. It was only when I took out the heddle bars with a couple inches to go that it became clear. The top of the diamond is a full quarter inch too low, because the three steps at the top of the dark diamond are each off by 1/8 in. or less. On a larger weaving, it would be less perceptible. But then, I might have invested a year.
I considered trying to needle-weave in some extra weft, but because of the nature of the joins, I really didn't think it would work. The thing to do, of course, would be to unweave about three and a half inches and fix it. At the same time, I could have fixed the worst of the draw-in. Part of me, at least, wanted to. I tend not to say "good enough". But at that point the metal tines at the top of the cactusflower loom were beginning to shear apart my warp. I had already repaired a couple warp threads (a total of eight by the time it was done), and I really didn't think this one could take more unweaving. So I pushed on.
The central cross is supposed to be squared - as tall as it is wide. The only reason I didn't add a quarter inch to the cross was that I appeared to have hit the center dead-on. So I started to feel ambitious. Maybe I really could pull off symmetry. Had I gone ahead and added an extra 1/4 in. to the cross, it would look better and the top of my dark diamond might have come out exactly where it should.
So while not competent, at least it is done. I've already got a replacement for the cactusflower loom. Onward we go.